Sunday 25 August 2013

Classic Victoria Sponge

Ahh, the classic Victoria sponge, so simple yet so easy to get wrong...

I thought I'd share with you my recipe for the perfect Victoria sponge. I find using other people's recipes for Victoria sponges doesn't work. The best way is to adapt recipes and create your own recipe which works for you, after all, every baker is different. Now, of course, I am contradicting myself by giving you my recipe and then telling you that using other people's recipes doesn't work however what I suggest is that you try out my recipe then if it doesn't quite work for you, by all means change it up! That's what baking is about - finding new recipes, then adapting them in a way which you think works better.

My Victoria sponge is sandwiched together with buttercream icing and jam as I find this prevents the cake from being too dry and gives an excellent flavour. On top, I simply sprinkle some icing sugar to give it that extra touch.

So here it is...

Victoria Sponge

Ingredients: 

220g / 8oz self raising flour (sifted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
220g / 8oz soft margarine or butter
220g / 8oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
4-6 drops vanilla essence

For the filling:

(buttercream)
225g / 8oz icing sugar (sifted)
100g / 3.5oz soft unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

jam of your choice

icing sugar to dust

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius or gas mark 3.
2) Grease CHECK BAKING TIN
3) Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
4) Then add all the other ingredients to the bowl and whisk them together until thoroughly combined.
5) Pour the mixture into the baking tin/tins and bake for CHECK TIMES.
6) While in the oven, make the buttercream. Beat everything together for a few minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. If the mixture looks heavy, add 1/2 tsp boiling water.
7) When cooked, leave for only 30 seconds, then remove from the tin/tins and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
8) If you have chosen to use only one baking tin, slice the sponge in half using a sharp knife so there are two equal sized layers. 
9) Once cooled, spread the buttercream and jam between the two layers and sandwich them together.
10) Use a sieve to dust with icing sugar when finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment